You can say goodbye to football tailgates, trips to the pumpkin patch, trick-or-treating events, and all your other fall plans if you don't have good, working spark plugs. These small yet vital pieces screw into each of your engine cylinders to make your vehicle 'go.' They provide the spark necessary to ignite the engine's fuel and air mixture and ensure the process is healthy, safe, and economical. Over time, they weaken due to constant usage. It can be due to various factors, including the accumulation of engine debris, extreme environmental pressures, and even accidents. Here are some of the symptoms of weak or aging spark plugs:
- Engine Misfires: If your motor is misfiring, it may be due to the electrodes of your spark plugs wearing down. At some point, they won't be able to ignite the fuel and air.
- Poor Acceleration - If you're experiencing a sluggish or slow-responding acceleration, especially at city speeds, this can mean that the ignition coils in your spark plugs have weakened. Your car won't be able to generate a lot of power in a short time.
- Rough Idle - You may need new spark plugs if you notice shakiness, vibrations, and/or random noises when idling.
- Lower Fuel Economy - Failing spark plugs can lead your car to consume more fuel than necessary, and as a result, you'll also see an increase in emissions. This is not only bad for our wallets, but it is not great for the environment.
- Engine Won't Start - If your engine continues to stall and fails to start, it can result from worn spark plugs that cannot provide the energy needed to start your engine.
To avoid internal damage, costly repairs, or the hassle of being stranded in the middle of nowhere, we highly suggest you keep an eye out for any of the signs above. If you need a diagnosis and/or new spark plugs, please give Lighthouse Automotive a call or visit today!